It all started on February 16th 1948. Eleven workers from Early's Mill met in the works canteen and Witney Mills Bowls Club was formed. These eleven workers were Messrs W. Haley, A. Fidler, W. Hedges, J. Bridgeman, A. Smith, A. Ford and W. Blake along with Misses D. Bolton, M. King, K. Winfield and I. Pumfrey.
Richard Early provided a 3-rink green near the River Windrush and it was agreed that members who were employees of Early's would pay a membership fee of 2s6d (12½ pence for the younger reader!!). In order that the green would not get damaged by heavy work boots it was decided that 12 pairs of galoshes should be purchased for members to wear on the green.
The first photographic evidence of Witney Mills Bowls Club shows a game against Charlbury. Coincidentally this photo includes a picture of a very young Charlie Fisher who became a member of the club and has now played for us for more than 40 years.
In 1959 the club has its first elected President, J. B. Crawford who was Managing Director of Early's. This year also saw the first fixture cards being printed - in those days games were played on a Saturday evening and member had a practice night on Thursdays.
In 1965 the bowls club committee applied to have the green enlarged to reflect the popularity of the game but Early's did not agree to this. However, the club continued to go from strength to strength and in 1969 hosted the first visit of the Oxfordshire Bowling Association (OBA) when the President for that year, Mr H. Pitman form Carterton brought a team to play against the Mills.
In 1983 the sad news was received that Early's were going to sell the riverside green for development. The members did not want this to be the end of Witney Mills Bowls Club and after several meetings with the local council they were offered the opportunity to share the green at West Witney Sports Club.